Located directly across the street from the Palacios Bay, our Bed and Breakfast has both the feel of a relaxing, waterfront cottage and the charm of an early 1900’s, Southern-style home. But the Peaceful Pelican is more than just a relaxing, waterfront getaway. It’s a home rich with history. Built in 1910 by the McGuires, it has evolved in a number of ways over the years.
A barn in the back of the house was converted to the first private school in Palacios and Matagorda County. It offered courses in cultural arts in addition to academics. Music lessons were taught upstairs in the house by Martha McGuire. Several other teachers assisted her at the school and taught academic subjects.
During World War II, Palacios was home to about 7,000 troops and housing was in short supply. Because of this, the house was split into apartments. It was probably around this time that the First Floor Suite was added on.
In 1961, Palacios was hit by Hurricane Carla, leading to a couple of new additions to the house. The stain glass windows of the Pelican came from the Methodist Church, which was destroyed in the hurricane. And, the lamp on the post in front of the house is one of three original weather warning lamps formerly located on a high tower on 5th street.
Clayton Lee, the longest owner of the house, purchased the home in 1970. He added the lovely brick patio, and his wife, Libby, spearheaded a successful campaign to have the house registered with a historical marker in 1987.
In 2005, Edith Gower and Margaret Doughty purchased the home and renovated it for two years before opening it as The Peaceful Pelican in 2007.